Thursday, November 21, 2013

A short note on the use of Swami Venkatesananda's translation of the Yoga Vasistha

I just wanted to write a quick note about translation.

I like Swami Venkatesananda's 'translation' or what I think of as actually transmission of the Yoga Vasistha.

Regardless of the original Sanskrit, Swami V's rendition is a unique entity in and of itself. And it is the one that has affected me on all levels. Thus I am choosing to use it and even struggle at times with the English choices that he has given for this massive work.

Throughout history, important works have taken on a unique light through translation. I feel that the choices made by the translators are important in that they cast a unique reflection on these classics.

If I had the time and motivation, I would most certainly dive into the original Sanskrit. I would even attempt it a little bit here but alas my Sanskrit version of Yoga Vasistha is hopelessly buried somewhere deep in my storage unit.

So Swami V will suffice for now. Please pardon my slight arrogance with this choice but I do feel that Swami V is a very capable soul. I have heard first hand account from some of his students who met him, have read some of his other works, and find him to be a beautiful, beautiful man.

So do I think all of the English words chosen by Swami V are the appropriate choice? Honestly I'm not sure. But I was raised with English and since I really like this beautiful man who I have never met, for now it works for me.

However, I may change my mind from time to time...

Many thanks to you Swami V!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment